Date:      Sun, 07 Feb 1999 15:03:03 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, "Oben O. Candemir" <dunya@one.net.au>
Cc:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Subject:   Re: Sore Support

At 02:48 PM 2/7/99 , Mike Smith wrote:

>We carefully note that you are doing a great deal of complaining, but
>no actual work.
>
>Would you care to align youself with the problem, or the solution?
>
>We'll gladly accept any real effort you care to expend on the Project,
>but if call you can do is whine about how someone else isn't doing
>what you personally think they should, then you really should just go
>and get lost.
>
>Yes, we need more help.  Yes, we know this.  No, you're not providing
>any.  Please recitfy the situation.

People are willing to learn if they want to try something new.  So I
wouldn't be one to say that FreeBSD Users aren't getting support.  As it
goes, you pay 0$ for something and *anything* is worth what you paid.

Getting people to notice things is hard when people that are just starting
out on computers are looking to the mass media (print and television,
lately web as well).  The fact that I run FreeBSD in a small town in the
middle of nowhere gets questions asked.  If people know whats there,
they're likely to want to find out how to swing it if they have an
application.  After all, that's why I use FreeBSD.  If anything it
does/did/can do what I want and more.

At the very least be a cheerleader if you can't do the work yourself.  I
wouldn't go blasting people because a device driver isn't totally
functioning.  Everyone on the boards has lives, and jobs that pay the
bills, thus supercede this atmosphere at least a little..

Alright, I admit it, I don't have a life.  But someone out there must. :-)

My $0.02 (Taxed it'd be 0.03$).
---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
Network Operations, Developer, Jackass: Orland Consolidated School, Orland
Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us