Date:      Wed, 24 May 1995 08:47:28 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        William Maddox <maddox@CS.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Proposed p90 hardware configuration

>I am about to buy a P90 system to run FreeBSD.  My intention is to put
>together a reasonably high-performance and well-balanced system using
>proven, well-regarded components.  I insist on parity memory, and thus
>have disqualified Triton-based systems, despite their performance
>edge.  At current S.F. bay-area discounted prices, the following
>system can be put together for approximately $5000.  I have put these
>specs out for quotations from several local dealers, and expect to
>plunk down the money in the next week or so.

[ ... ]

>I chose the HP drives purely on the strength of HP's reputation and
>warranty.  I would be interested in hearing if anyone has had
>experience, good or bad, with HP SCSI products and the AHA2940 SCSI
>host adapter using either the FreeBSD or the Linux drivers.  Is anyone
>using an HP DAT drive?

I know of at least one person using an HP DAT drive.  If you are going
to be running the 2940, you should ensure that you are using the driver
from -current (the same goes for the SCSI tape code).  The changes you need
will be availible in 2.0.5 when it is released.  If you experience
any problems with your HP drives, drop me a line, and maybe we can swap
a drive for a week so I can use it to debug the FreeBSD driver.  I haven't
heard anything bad about those devices though.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1