Date:      Sat Aug 25 09:59:50 MDT 2001
From:      grpeters@hushmail.com
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   installing PAO

Hello,

I am new to FreeBSD and still on the steep end of the learning curve.

I have installed FreeBSD on an older laptop, and I am trying to get the system to recognize my Linksys EtherFast 10/100 NIC.

When I insert the card, I receive the error:
No card in database for "Linksys" ("EtherFast 10/100 Integrated PC Card (PCM100)"

Checking in pccard.conf confirms that there is no entry for this card.  I have tried creating an entry for this card, but to no avail.  So, I am attempting to install PAO, which apparently includes support for the Linksys PCM100 card.

Following the instructions in README.install, I get to the step where I am supposed to 'Apply Kernel - patch to Kernel source tree', with the command make patch.

The command starts, but prompts me with "File to patch:".  Stupid question, but what file is it that I am trying to patch, the Kernel.  What file name would I enter here?  The line directly preceeding the prompt is "PAO3/src/sys/i386/apm/apm_init/"  I notice that prior to the prompt appearing I see several suspicious comments stating "Hmm. The next patch looks like a unified diff to me".  What does this mean?  Is the patch failing prior to my receiving the "File to patch:" prompt?

If anyone can steer me in the right direction for installing PAO, or knows of a pccard.conf entry, which will work with the Linksys Etherfast 10/100 Integrated PC Card (PCM100), I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Graham
Free, secure Web-based email, now OpenPGP compliant - www.hushmail.com