Date:      Sun, 4 Jan 1998 11:12:08 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Java Apps?

> Curious, are people using FreeBSD to develop Java apps ?

I just 'ported' OrbixWeb3.0 to FreeBSD yesterday, and my company uses
Java/CORBA for our primary line of business.  My results convinced my
boss to upgrade his older FreeBSD 2.1 box to 2.2 so he could do Java
development on it, so I'm in the process of upgrading it.

IMHO, the *biggest* problem with the current JDK is using LessTif.  I
have *nothing* but problems all over the place when I use the lessTif
version, but if I replace the LessTif shared library with the Motif
shared library most of those things work again.  Unfortunately, other
things break with linkage errors.  What I'd like to see if the diffs so
I can roll my own release with Motif, and then possibly figure out a way
to release it publically, since the bug are easy to run into with any
significant applications.

> >From my brief exposure to jdk1.1.5 , Swing, Beans, etc.., it seems
> that there is enough critical infra-structure to create useful apps
> also there are plenty of lessons there in OO methodology --

I am very pro-Java, and this is after using it consistanly for 13 months
solid.  The last 9 months has been full-time Java programming, and while
I dislike the 'Java of the day' problems that plague our software and
the inability of 3rd party vendors to keep up, I do like the direction
they are headed.

> So is Java the technology which will launch application development
> in FreeBSD??

I doubt it.  But, Java could be the technology that allows applications
to actually run under FreeBSD, irregardless of whether or not they were
developed there or not.  Plus, it allows FreeBSD folks to develop
applications for Win32/Solaris/NC's and the like while still leveraging
all of the knowledge and familiarity with unix/FreeBSD development.

Nate