Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 1997 17:21:46 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Call for Fortran assistance.

Ok, if the 'F' word upsets you, you can ignore this thread with
impunity.  If you know something about fortran, a few brief words would
be quite helpful.

We're currently engaged in a joint venture with a customer to produce
an all-sky meteor radar.  Not what you'd call an earth-shaking device,
but likely to be fairly unique and interesting to the relevant
community.

Unfortunately, the customer is providing some of the software for the
system, and their language of preference is Fortran.  We've seen their
code before, and it's disgusting.  Unfortunately, they have the
algorithmic technology that we need, and they're not willing to
document it well enough for us to reimplement in another language.
(They have also stalled us up against a deadline, so we really don't
 have the time either.)

In order for their software to interoperate with ours, we need to be
able to pipe binary data from one of our processes to one of theirs, at
a fairly convincing rate (about 1.5M/sec) on a Pentium-class processor.
After I/O overheads we have about 1/2 of the processor left.

Our initial design assumed that they would be able to read this on
standard input; wrong.

Our second design threw the data through a FIFO, but Fortran has funny
formatting requirements for sequential-access data that have stymied us.

We tried converting to ASCII and then parsing it back in, but that's
too slow.

We've offered to write a Fortran-callable C procedure that can manage
reading the FIFO, but they don't use procedures much (!) and want an
all-fortran solution.

If you have ever done anything like this before, I'd *really* like to
know how you did it, before we bludgeon the customer and commit to a
total rewrite...

Thanks,
Mike