Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 01:57:13 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: If Brett only knew...

> Well, now I know. All I can say is that this shows the "greed"
> of the very people who claim that commercial software developers
> are greedy.

No it doesn't, not if you jump in and stop them.

Besides which, their ability to do this is predicated on the license
that we chose intentionally to allow people to do this.

More power to them.

> They will have licensing problems, of course, since major parts
> of FreeBSD are licensed under the original Berkeley license with
> the advertising clause. They can't use that code and license
> it under the GPL. Nor can they link it to GPLed code.

The intent is to take as much of the user space as possible from
the Debian stuff to make it Debian "branded", from the question
that was poseted to advocacy by one of the people involved.

In any case, the agregate won't be full GPL'able, and they are
aware of that, and it doesn't bother them.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.