Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 1995 15:51:04 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ld.so: ivs: libcompat.so.2.0: Undefined error: 0

(Note, the original problem with libcompat shared library was a
 totally different issue, but since you brought this up anyway....)

 * Every time I build an application that adds a shared lib, I get this.
 * One reboot later it's gone.  Haven't check on more than that yet.

The ports and packages now use the new "-m" option to ldconfig to
automatically add shared libraries to the cache when installed.  You
need to be running a fairly recent -current (the change went in on
6/24) or the next snap (not released yet) for this to work.

If you are running these, have the latest ports stuff, and still see
the ld.so undefined error message before reboot, please send mail to
the ports list.

This is one of the most annoying but un-frequently asked questions
(probably because it goes away after reboot), and I'm intent to
squashing every bit of it into a dense cube of collapsed atoms and
throw it into Cygnus X-1.

Satoshi