Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 1997 20:32:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@argus>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question about X.25 drivers

In reply:
> > Seriously, the biggest reason things "rot" in FreeBSD is that nobody
> > is actively maintaining them.  If you want to take on X.25 both
> > now and for the forseeable future, I see no problem with resurrecting
> > it.
>
> Actually, it's because there is no responsibility to enforce somone
> changing an interface being responsible for changing all consumers of
> that interface.
>
> Again, the existing X.25 code did not change, FreeBSD did.  It is not
> the code which is unusable by FreeBSD, it is FreeBSD which i incapable
> of using the code.
>
> Engaging in finger pointing at static code sucks...

Regardless, I have agreed to at least implement AX.25, which in itself
is a strange beast...  But, then I have the capabilities to test the
implementation for functionality...  I cannot test pure X.25, as I have
nothing that uses it.

until i see the state of the existing code, i have no idea whether i
will revive the netccitt stuff and merge AX.25 in, and at least get
AX.25 working or just use bits and pieces for a new driver...

hopefully the netccitt is in a state where i can just merge :^)

anyhow, kernel level ip encapsulation is the ultimate goal, but just
getting the [A]X.25 stuff working is the stepping stone...

> 					Regards,
> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^ your favorite
                                                          charity?  :^)

Time to slip in some Beatles, and do my paperwork for "The Tax Man"...

Be glad that Herr Dole didn't get a chance to impose Kansas-style
taxation on everyone...  Next year, they'll probably levy a shoe tax
on the annual personal transportational property tax here in Kansas...

Gawd I miss the "no state income tax" policies of Texas...

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or