Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2000 15:35:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Adam <bsdx@looksharp.net>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: making the snoop device loadable.

On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

>* Adam <bsdx@looksharp.net> [000709 11:57] wrote:
>> On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>> >You have always needed to babysit your root password.
>>
>> Ok, I give in to the argument.  I would just like to make a wish.  On Jan
>> 24 1999 peter took the NO_LKM option out of LINT.  I assume the support
>> for it in other files was removed around that time also.  Could someone
>> implement a NO_KLD option so you dont need to use securelevel > 0 so
>> people have an obvious option and dont have to know the kernel well enough
>> to hack syscalls.master?
>
>More security through obscurity when /dev/mem and /dev/kmem are
>accessable.
>
>Bite the bullet and up your securelevel!
>
>-Alfred

Why did it exist from FreeBSD-WhoKnowsWhen until 1999?  I'd like to use X
via startx and not xdm too.  I dont recall FreeBSD allowing X to start
after securelevel is > 0 because it accesses /dev/mem.  If it does now,
I'll shut up.  I tried searching the mail archives for discussions about
why NO_LKM is bad but couldn't find anything.  Could you help me find a
discussion on it or tell me why disabling kernel modules is *not*
security?  Assuming I'd notice a reboot and would consequently whup some
butt if someone did.