Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 11:40:56 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        gpalmer@freebsd.org (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        rv@groa.uct.ac.za, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request to add this to FAQ re: swap space

(Bearing in mind that I am not a memory expert and I have learned more
this summer about memory than I did in the last five years...  Rod is
in a much better explanation to explain some of this as he has data
books and real engineering knowledge of the subject)

> Joe Greco wrote in message ID
> <199610301517.JAA25891@brasil.moneng.mei.com>:
> > However, at about $2000 per 64MB SIMM module, this is an expensive
> > solution.
>
> Umm? When was that a price? RAM price now says that you should be able
> to get a 60ns 16x36 72pin SIMM for a lot less (under $1k I'd have
> thought)

Yes, and I can still get 4x36's for ~$100....  so logically a 16x36
should be ~$500.

You can actually get them for around that price.  However, the ASUS
manual specifies a maximum chip count of (I believe) 24, and the units
you will get for this price WILL have 36 chips.

Now the rest is mostly "IIRC"...  I may not, exactly, because we actually
tried a LOT of things - I will concentrate mostly on what did.

ASUS P/E-P55T2P4D board:

I believe that Curt and I found some 16-chip 32MB SIMM modules, and we
tried loading the board up with 8 of them, for 256MB (the golden goal).
It worked but suffered memory (NMI) problems on a daily basis.

We removed four, and it worked great.  "S***".  We started looking for
bad SIMM's, testing them on a real SIMM tester.  No faults.

We had also heard about "magic 36-chip SIMM" modules that were supposedly
used by ASUS themselves and ASUS said they worked fine.  I believe that
these are the golden $2000 SIMM modules we are currently using.

I won't go into the 9-chip SIMM's we toyed with, or any of the other
less-than-successful attempts.. etc...

If ANYONE has a source for RAM that REALLY works ..  :-)

... JG