Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 1996 10:34:57 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        skrishna@cisco.com (Sridhar Krishnan)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 Help

Sridhar Krishnan writes:

> I purchased and installed FreeBSD 2.1 from Walnut Creek CD-ROM. I need
> help on the following items:
>
> 1. I configured the serial port 1 (which has a built in modem) for the
> IRQ4 and i/o address of 0x3e8 (as per BIOS 03E8h). The new kernel
> recognizes the port. However, when I use /dev/cuaa0 it does not work.For
> example, I tried echo ATDT11111 >/dev/cuaa0. The modem should atleast be
> off the hook and I should here a dial-tone. No. Also, ppp seems to hang.
> I had the ppp.conf in /etc/ppp directory configured to use this device.
> No go.

I don't know if this should work.  I personally use cu for this sort
of thing

$ cu -s 38400 -l /dev/cuaa0

This will have you talking directly to the modem (and later on to
whoever you dial up).

To get things working properly, look at the section on Basic
Networking in the online handbook.

> 2. I am getting UnixSocket error after I boot. So, I am unable to ping
> localhost.

I'd need more information on this one.  The exact error message, for
example.  You should be able to ping localhost after entering

# ifconfig lo0 127.1

> 3. I have a Trident SVGA card on PCI motherboard with Linear Accelerator
> and 1MB of VRAM, and I tried configuring for X86_SVGA and it errors with
> chipset did not recognize xxx address. I should be able to use SVGA with
> 256 colors (like Windows does).

I'd guess that xf86config has the same problem that I do: not enough
information.  Did you tell it the correct chip set?

> 4. Sections of Handbook on-line are incomplete like Serial (which is
> marked with *). Is this right ?

No.  But it's the way it is.  The handbook is put together by
volunteers, and nobody has got around to that part yet.

> Please Help. Thanks putting out a great product.

You're welcome

> The Install Book is great.

Thank you
Greg