Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2001 12:08:21 -0400
From:      Chris Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        grpeters@hushmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: installing PAO

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+

Please wrap your lines...

On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 03:56:20PM +0000, grpeters@hushmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> I am new to FreeBSD and still on the steep end of the learning curve. =20
>=20
> I have installed FreeBSD on an older laptop, and I am trying to get
> the system to recognize my Linksys EtherFast 10/100 NIC.
>=20

What version of FreeBSD?

> When I insert the card, I receive the error:
> No card in database for "Linksys" ("EtherFast 10/100 Integrated PC Card (=
PCM100)"
>=20
> Checking in pccard.conf confirms that there is no entry for this card.

PCM100 support appears to have been added to FreeBSD 4.x on
May 27 04:52:48 2000 UTC and has been included in every 4.x release
except 4.0.  You may want to grab the latest release (FreeBSD 4.3)
or a -stable snapshot and try.  In addition, there are a few web pages
describing the installation gotchas for laptop installs (check the
list archives).

> I have tried creating an entry for this card, but to no avail.  So, I
> am attempting to install PAO, which apparently includes support for
> the Linksys PCM100 card.
>=20

AFAIK, PAO has not been updated for later 4.x releases since most of
its functionality has been integrated (with the possible exception of
cardbus support which is being developed in 5.0-CURRENT).

--=20
Chris D. Faulhaber - jedgar@fxp.org - jedgar@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD: The Power To Serve   -   http://www.FreeBSD.org

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+