Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 00:40:51 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: option MROUTING

> The question of mbone capable PC Unix systems keeps coming up on
> the mbone mailing list. Linux is a little bit behind however it
> is catching to FreeBSD in terms of mbone and audio /video conferencing
> tools . The first step for wider MBONE deployment is for the PCs
> whether they run Unix or WinXX is for them to be MBONE capable
> by clueless users . The server side (mrouted) you are correct
> in that the users usually have the sufficient expertise however
> on the client side it is an entirely different matter.

I think it's important to distinguish between multicast-capable
end-system hosts (which FreeBSD pretty much is, out of the box),
and systems that operate as multicast routers.

The trend more and more is to have the multicast forwarding function
reside in routers, with hosts behaving as end-systems only, rather
than terminating tunnels.  Sure, there's a bunch of people that
still terminate DVMRP tunnels in mrouted, but this is becoming less
common rather than more.

>From my experience, more "MBONE" connections are done with Cisco routers
rather than using the (non-scalable) DVMRP/mrouted solution.

So, yeah, I think that MROUTING off by default is probably the
right answer for more people these days.

louie