Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 19:35:10 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Jeremy Karlson <karlj000@unbc.ca>, Craig Harding <crh@outpost.co.nz>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL nonsense: time to stop

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 10:14:06AM -0700, Brett Glass stood up and spoke:

> The parts that will take the longest to reimplement properly -- it will
> be a multi-year effort to remove them -- are the toolchain. FreeBSD should
> never have become dependent upon the GNU tools, because the FSF owns them
> lock, stock and barrel. The FSF can, at any time, restrict the use or
> distribution of these tools. (I believe that it is Richard Stallman's plan
> to wait until GCC wipes out most or all commercial C compilers and then
> require that all output of the compiler be licensed under the GPL. He
> cannot pull this "bait and switch" just yet, but in a few years he will
> be able to. If he does, the projects most at risk are the BSDs. (Bruce
> Perens has already stated that he wants "Version 3" of the GPL to limit
> the use of the output of GPLed programs. It's just a matter of waiting
> until the community's head is fully inserted into the noose.) We must begin
> planning now for this development, to which the FSF's agenda and
> Stallman's malice against commercial developers (or anything -- including
> the BSDs -- that offers them aid and comfort) will inevitably and
> inexorably lead.

May I ask, just out of interest, how it comes that you have *such a strong*
dislike against the FSF, GPL and RMS that you portray them as the ultimate
devils? As I have already said, I'm not the biggest fan of the GPL either,
and the licensing discussion certainly is of at least some importance, but
I would like to understand your reasons for actually coming up with such
*diabolic* theories.

Furthermore, I don't currently see a legally or real-world enforcible way
to restirct the output of GPLed software. If I only use some GPLed software
in order to write something down and then print it, I don't think that a
license can force my output to fall under the same license. As such, I
guess that if I wrote myself a C program and compiled it, I don't believe
that any license would serious (legally) be able to require that my output
also falls under the GPL automatically. These are, I think, some weird
theories - at least I have not seen any signs of them being true so far.

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany