Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 19:58:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      byron@omix.com (Byron Brummer)
To:        zen@buddhist.com (G. Adam Stanislav)
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Converting text files

"G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com> wrote:
> At 12:38 13-03-1999 -0500, Bill Fumerola wrote:
> >Downloading, compiling, installing, and learning another program's syntax
> >is EASIERS then using two programs that already exist on the system and
> >have been used for a long time?
> >
> >Thanks, but no thanks.
>
> I did not know this was going to a mailing list. I simply followed a link
> at freebsd.org for contacting the authors of the FAQ.

	FYI: For nearly every project on the Internet utilizing more then
	the talents of a single person, expect any addresses to it to
	actually be a mailing list.  That's just the way it works best.

> And yes, using tuc is considerably simpler than running a perl script.
> There is no syntax to learn.

	What's there to learn?  The handbook gives you the syntax, the user
	need only type it (or use a mouse to cut-n-paste).

	If cutting and pasting a relatively simple command line is a problem
	for the user, they should not be using Unix (IMHO).  If the user
	fears they will forget the command line there is always the options
	of:

		alias tuc="perl -i.bak -npe 's/\r\n/\n/g'"

	Or save it to a command for all to use:

		$ cat > /usr/local/bin/tuc
		#!/usr/local/bin/perl -pi.bak
		s/\r\n/\n/g
		^D
		$ chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/tuc

	The basic point being that a "dos2unix" program is an entire one
	line of Perl code (currently the most portable language on the
	planet), is not used often (relatively speeking), and as such I
	would see no reason to bother installing a C version. -Note that
	perl is always installed on a FreeBSD system.

> At any rate, I was simply trying to offer a simple solution to the FreeBSD
> team, to use as they please if they please. I had no idea my message was
> going to go to FreeBSD users at large.

	Actually, it went to the FreeBSD doc mailing list, not the user
	(general) list.

--
-Zenin (zenin@archive.rhps.org)                 Your Official ORGy sites!
 The Bawdy Caste      (Fremont, CA)                www.bawdycaste.org