Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 18:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/30749: Typo in the handbook's section 14.3

The following reply was made to PR docs/30749; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To: Shill <shill@free.fr>
Cc: Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>,
	freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 03:48:05 +0200 (CEST)

 Scrive Shill <shill@free.fr>:

 > Salvo Bartolotta wrote:

 > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x13973.html

 > file"
 > >
 > > > What's wrong with it as it stands?  (I'm not sure whether, strictly
 > > > speaking, a "which" is required before "you need" but it's common
 > > > usage as it is.)
 > >
 > > AFAIK, you are correct.
 > >
 > > "the driver(s) you need" contains an identifying (also: defining,
 > restrictive)
 > > relative clause; that is, you speak of **certain** drivers (the
 > driver(s) you
 > > need).  **Object** relative pronouns are often omitted in an informal
 > style.
 > >
 > > <possible reason for Shill's difficulty>
 > > The whole sentence, "[adding [the driver you need] [to you kernel
 > > configuration file]]", **might** sound ambiguous, ie might also be
 > interpreted
 > >  as "[adding the driver [you need to your kernel configuration
 > file]]";
 > > however, considering the syntactic features of the constituents, viz
 > the
 > > constructions the verb "(to) need" can be used in, I can see no
 > syntactic or
 > > semantic ambiguity.  I would say the sentence sounds good. :-)
 > >
 > > Just my 0.02 Euro
 > >
 > > -- Salvo
 >
 > Oooooooh, now I understand. You see, what confused me was
 > the "you need/you will need" occurence. I immediately
 > thought: "copy/paste mistake" and convinced myself the
 > sentence was ungrammatical.
 >
 > "After adding the driver(s) you need to your kernel
 > configuration file, you will need to recompile your kernel."
 >
 > Sorry for the false negative :)

 Yep, "need" is used in two different transitive constructions, the sentence
 being correct.  However, to avoid repetition one might try:

 -- [...] you must recompile [...]
 -- [...] you [will] have to recompile [...]
 -- [...] it is time to recompile [...]
 -- [...] you are ready to [...]/you are ready for recompilation...
 -- [...] you recompile [...]  # "timeless" simple present
 -- [...] just/please recompile [...]
 -- [...] you will/would be so kind as to recompile [...]
 -- [...] go recompile your kernel!! [After recompiling] As you were!
 -- [...] thou  shalt  recompile  thy  kernel.

 Since it is a matter of taste, I am afraid we have no decision power... :-)

 -- Salvo