Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 21:25:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Brant M. Katkansky" <bmk@fta.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, brantk@atlas.com, peter@taronga.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replacing sendmail

> > It may be.  :-)  Make sure that you also add a
> >
> > pkg_control -enable sendmail		# fix it (unless was removed)
> >
> > too.

> I'm not sure that pkg_control is the right interface point, however,
> as it brings up unpleasant connotations of the ioctl() interface which
> is braindamaged enough already. :-)

> Perhaps something specifically for controlling mail system behavior
> could be devised, one aspect of which could be MTA selection.

I'm envisioning something more general-purpose, eventually (optionally)
hidden behind a slick user interface.

MTA selection can be handled by doing 'pkg_control -disable sendmail;
pkg_control -enable qmail'.  Of course, for novices, this operation
would be hidden behind the slick UI that hasn't been written yet.

I've already written the framework for this.  See
http://www.pobox.com/~bmk/pkg_control.tar.gz if you're interested
in what's been done so far.

I'd like to hear your input.