Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 2003 00:27:34 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Magnus_B=E4ckstr=F6m?= <b@etek.chalmers.se>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dillon@'s commit bit: I object

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Larry Sica wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 4, 2003, at 01:11 PM, Brett Glass wrote:
> >
> > The limitation of voting to those with "commit bits" creates an
> > extreme bias toward those with their heads down and/or those
> > with egos heavily invested in their code; it also increases the
> > likelihood that "real world" factors will not be considered.
> > It is one of the reasons why FreeBSD receives so little press
> > and so little corporate support relative to Linux. Advocacy,
> > a crucial part of any such project, is not valued.
> >

> There is truth in this statement.  Engineers and programmers are not
> always good marketers, advocates or planners.  That should be taken
> into account.  A project w/o all three things, engineering, planning
> and marketing will always be hindered...

The truth and power of the statement assumes that the engineers and
programmers aren't receptive to the arguments of good marketers,
advocates, and planners.  In practice, I'm not seeing the FreeBSD
project run by a bunch of inbred nerds who are resistant to every
clue outside their own field.

Magnus