Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 1998 21:14:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      Colin Eric Johnson <colinj@cs.unm.edu>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Latitude CPi

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Gary Palmer wrote:

> Christian Kuhtz wrote in message ID
> <19981115210831.A5535@ns1.adsu.bellsouth.com>:
> > Anyone out there who also has a Dell Latitude CPi 266XD notebook and would
> > like to share configuration experiences?  If so, please contact me at
> > ck@adsu.bellsouth.com.  I will summarize.
>
> I have one (through work). Seems to work OK. Caveats:
>
> 1) Uses the NeoMagic display chipset, so either wait for the new XF86 release
>    or get AccelX from www.xig.com (I prefer the latter ... accelx is just
>    so much nicer. No offense to the XFree group)
>
> 2) Sound controller was interesting to get working. The following line in
>    your config file should get it working tho:
>
> device pcm0 at isa ? port ? tty irq 5 drq 0 vector pcmintr
>
> Its a Crystal 4237b (which I thought was a PnP chip, but PnP probes find
> nothign) according to Dell, but FreeBSD finds it as a ``SoundBlaster Pro 3.2''.

Thanks for posting this, I've been having one hell of a time getting the
sound to work.

I've added the above line to my config and rebuilt and installed the
kernel. I'm getting feedback out of the speakers but nothing else. Is
there something that I might want to do in /dev to make this play nice? I
had my machine configured to work with the OSS sound drivers but that
proved to not work so well.

I get the following from /dev/sndstat:

trurl# cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (981022) Nov 27 1998 20:56:33
Installed devices:
pcm0: <SoundBlaster Pro 3.2> at 0x220 irq 5 dma 0:0

and I did a ./MAKEDEV snd0 as well. What else might I look at?

Colin E. Johnson | colinj@unm.edu | http://www.unm.edu/~colinj/
the large print giveth, and the small print taketh away
---Tom Waits