Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 1999 19:23:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        mishania@demos.net (Mikhail A. Sokolov)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panics with ufs_dirbad on high swapping.

As I recall, Mikhail A. Sokolov wrote:

> given the 3.0-STABLE as of 1999-02-07, we experience the following
> panics.  The situation is the following - the box was rarely up for
> more than 3-4 days since November (yes, I know there were fixes for
> ufs_dirbad() then) and it happens way strange way.  It will hang
> (nothing but disk IO works, console doesn't respond, network
> connections get staled and so on) when pretty big swap quantity is
> being used actively (please find below the prepanic top results).
> More the uptime gets, more longer perionds of irresponsibilities get,
> and it would finally crash in 3 or 4 days with exactly the very same
> panic.  I already changed all the disks during this period,
> reinstalled the / from 3.0-R -> 3.0-S on newly newfs'ed one and voila,
> nothing helps.

Since you're already willing to completely re-load the box, how
about you load it with 2.2.8.  Unless there are some features in 3.0
you can't live without, it'd be interesting if 2.2.8 (or 2.2-STABLE)
made your problems go away.  It would isolate the hardware/software
question, and perhaps give you a stable system in the meantime.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com chad@larsons.org chad@anasazi.com larson1@home.net