Date:      Sun, 7 Feb 1999 15:13:43 -0600
From:      Chris Costello <chris@holly.dyndns.org>
To:        "Wayne M. Barnes" <wayne@barnes1.wustl.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syscons.o crashes kernel build

On Sun, Feb 7, 1999, Wayne M. Barnes put this into my mailbox:
> Dear FreeBSD stabilizers,
>
>    Starting from 2.2.8, I have been trying to get to 3.0-stable.

   Which is fairly dangerous.

>    Using /stand/sysinstall, I 'upgraded' to the smallest 3.0
>        system to get the binaries.
>    I downloaded the port-current and unpacked them.
>    I cd'd to /usr/ports/net/cvsup to make all install.
>        The cvsup install kindly noticed that my X11R6 was out
>        of date, and updated it to 3.3.3; this was something I needed.
>    I did a cvsup with cvs tag=RELENG_3
> 	  ( I also tried =. with the same result below)
>    I performed a 'make world' which seemed to finish okay.
>
>    [ This is not my main trouble report, but when I rebooted, I
>    could not log in, as all my passwords were rejected.  Readonly
>    inspection of /etc/master.passwd revealed no visible problems.
>    /stand/sysinstall would not let me set the root password unless
>    I performed a minimal binary install again.  This I did,
>    and I had to delete my users from master.passwd and adduser them
>    again.  Luckily, there weren't too many yet, and now I can
>    reboot and log in. ]
>
>    NOW THE TROUBLE STARTS
>
>    When I try to build a new kernel, the build crashes with
> references to syscons.o [ see APPENDIX below for screen dump ]
>    I notice that this is coincident with the first paragraph of
> /usr/src/UPDATING, which says syscons is being reworked.
> I did the recommended 'make clean', which did not help.
>
>    MY QUESTIONS ARE:
>
>       1.  Am I the only one who can't build a kernel without
>       these errors?

   No, many other people haven't read and followed all the instructions
in the updating docs ;)

>       2.  Is it possible to get a version without these errors?
>       Also, I would like to have a new enough version
>       of FreeBSD to have PCI device 'rl' supported.
>
>       3.  Have I made some error or omission?

   Yes.  Copy GENERIC to a new kernel and re-add your devices according to
LINT or the updating documentation.  Make sure you have the keyboard device
installed!  Then try cleaning out the old compile directory, config, and then
try rebuilding your kernel.  All should go well.