Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 21:48:28 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Freefall users:  sd0 on freefall being replaced!

The long-suffering sd0 on freefall has finally started to give up the
ghost. I think it's around 3 years old at this point and has
definitely endured the tortures of Job in its role there, so its
impending demise comes as little surprise.  Anyone who's ever put his
ear to freefall will know that the disks never stop - the disk access
light is a solid red, 24 hours a day. :-)

In any case, a replacement drive will be purchased and freefall
reinstalled with 2.1.6.1 sometime in the next few days.  When I
swapped the NCR controller for a 2940 way back when, the geometry also
changed and it's been a real pain to have to boot freefall with the
aid of a floppy all this time so the real necessity for a reinstall is
actually a welcome development, and long overdue.

In any case, since many people's home dirs are on sd0s2g (/a) I'd like
to ask that you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE delete any and all unnecessary
cruft so that I don't have to laboriously back up and restore it.  The
quicker I'm able to do this, the less downtime you'll all have to
suffer and the happier all of us will be.  I know that several of you
have large chunks of the source tree checked out and it'd be nice if
you could free up that space again before I needlessly attempt to save
it.

I also haven't got a DAT or EXABYTE drive handy, so it's going to be a
question of backing things up onto another one of our boxes, and the
less hunting around for space I have to do, the faster this will go.

Thanks!

					Jordan