Date:      Mon, 01 Mar 1999 17:23:34 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        "Robert A. Bruce" <rab@pike.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Dave Yost <Dave@Yost.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Linux PR firestorm disaster (w.r.t. FreeBSD)

"Robert A. Bruce" wrote:

> >Unencumbered by the GPL. You can really USE the code!
>
> Okay.  But this is a controversial issue.

Controversial to whom? It is just a matter of your intended
audience, of how you sell this. "In contrast to the GPL license used
by Linux, FreeBSD gives preference to the BSD license, meaning that
business enterprises can use the source code as it sees fit with no
strings attached, besides the copyright notice." Of course, there is
GPL code on the FreeBSD distribution, but marketing is marketing.
Don't target the OSS crowd, as they already use an open source
operating system. Target people who are new to this, attracted by
the Linux histeria. Business. SOHO. People who want start an
Internet enterprise. Explain to them how they can use the BSD
license to their advantage, contrasting this to GPL.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"To make it absolutely clear: you stand on the wrong end of my
blasters, so you better get lost before I start target practice!"