Date:      20 May 2003 17:31:20 +0200
From:      Matthias Szupryczynski <matthias.sz@gmx.net>
To:        freeBSD-newbies <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Handling of ports, and naming convention?

Hi,

On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 17:30, lasse wrote:
> 2. Ports, how do i know i i got the latest set of ports? and if there
> are new ports out, can i upgrade all ports in one step?

to get the latest version of the ports tree, use cvsup (see man cvsup or
the handbook for more detailed information).

To upgrade all installed ports to their latest version, use portupgrade
(which you can find under /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade). The man
pages tells you all you have to know, as far as I remember, portupgrade
-a will update every installed port.

> 3. Where can i  find a good howto about recompile the kernel?
> (step by step, but not for dummies)

Look at the Makefile found under /usr/src .. you should find quite a few
interesting notes there, including a step by step guide what to do to
get the system and the kernel up-to-date.

HTH

Matt