Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 00:47:35 +0000 (/etc/localtime)
From:      Fredrik Olausson <fredrik@speechcraft.com>
To:        newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gnome vs. KDE

I second the opinion of most posters on this thread; try them
both. However, being in love with my own voice (or is it my typing?) I'll
post my own very subjective opinions, since you asked ;-)

I started out with FVWM, being the default WM back in the days when I
first started out with Linux, and it is the WM I use on my weakest laptop,
since it is very resource-light. It has a rich configuration language, and
if you're up to it, you can really create an original confguration which
makes it an extension of yourself, sort of.

Gnome is very good indeed. I haven't tried it for about a year now, but I
have heard that it has made great progress. What I found difficult with it
is that there is no central place for configuration of your environment,
since Gnome lets you use virtually any windowmanager on top of it. Thus,
you can sometimes set the same thing in two places, which I don't like
(hears the *whooosh* of a backdraft flamewar ;-)

On those of my boxes which can handle it, I use KDE 2.1.1, which I think
is great. It is very stable, beautiful, and easy to work in. However, it
does take a lot of resources, so it can be a bit slow. It has a very
clean, corporate feel to it (appealing to the capitalist in me), so
sometimes I long for the "hacker" feeling of Gnome+enlightenment ;)

Try them all to see which you prefer, it's a lot of fun in itself.

-Fredrik