Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 08:19:58 -0700
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
To:        "Travis Cole" <tcole@wcug.wwu.edu>
Cc:        "Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson" <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net>, <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and IRC

> Well, the thing is neither I nor my coworker are FreeBSD or Unix
> newbies by any means.  We are professional Sysadmins for a rather
> large internet company and are responsible for several hundred
> unix hosts, including many (more than 30) FreeBSD web servers.

Well, if you're so experienced in FreeBSD, and you've been in #freebsd
before, you know #freebsd is not a help channel.

> #FreeBSD seems like a natural place to ask such a question since
> many project members spend time there.

#FreeBSD is not the natural place to ask any question.  Are we making that
somewhat clear ?  Those same project members are also in #freebsdhelp.
#FreeBSD is an IRC channel and owned by the operators.  If they decide that
there is no talking allowed in the channel, that's their perogitive.  If
they decide only their good friends can come in the channel, same thing.
Bitching about it on the advocacy list isn't going to change how they handle
their channel.  I must have said it 50 times, but lemme say it again,
#freebsdhelp.

> But that assumption is apparently quite wrong.
>
> Sorry, I won't make the mistake of asking questions on #FreeBSD no
> matter how intelligent or stupid they may be.

Now you're getting the idea.

> Just a bit annoyed how people seem to assume one is a total Unix
> of FreeBSD newbie moron if they ask questions.   Not just dumb
> questions, questions, any questions at all.

It's more a matter of asking questions in the wrong place.  You may not be a
FreeBSD newbie, but I would say your IRC experience is very weak.