Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 22:03:52 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        bmk@fta.com
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, brantk@atlas.com, peter@taronga.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replacing sendmail

> MTA selection can be handled by doing 'pkg_control -disable sendmail;
> pkg_control -enable qmail'.  Of course, for novices, this operation
> would be hidden behind the slick UI that hasn't been written yet.

Ok, well, the real question I still have here is "what determines
the intelligence behind the enable/disable action?"

What I mean by this is that while it's relatively easy to quantify
the enable/disable actions for sendmail/qmail, by calling your
utility "pkg_control" you're intimating that this thing will work
effectively for *all* packages which might be enabled or disabled.

To use a totally contrived example, let's say I wanted to disable all
forms of remote login access except for ssh (as many people do).
I would expect to be able to say:

	pkg_control -enable ssh
	pkg_control -disable rlogin,telnet

[yes, I know that rlogin and telnet aren't packages but ssh is, so
 already we're into a real grey area, just as with sendmail].

The actions behind making this happen are quite different than the
sendmail/qmail selection actions, and this package-specific
intelligence has to go *somewhere*, right?

Or let's say I wanted to install apsfilter as my default printer
filter.  I might want to say:

	pkg_control -enable apsfilter

Which would entail yet another entirely different set of operations.

Short of making pkg_control a humongous beast from hell with inate
knowledge of every possible package you might want to enable or
disable, it seems like a generic package control program is something
of a bitch to do, and by calling it "pkg_control" that's exactly what
you're suggesting it does.

That's why I suggest doing this more incrementally by service type.
In my examples, there would actually be something like 3 different
commands:

mail_control -enable qmail -disable sendmail

access_control -incoming -enable ssh -disable rlogin,telnet

lp_control -enable apsfilter

Each command would have a much easier time of it since it only has to
know about a limited set of services.  By keeping the argument names
orthogonal (though I think that -enable and -disable are a bit
stretched in some of these examples :-), it's also easier to write a
front end which can feed them all.

Just my 2 cents.

					Jordan