Date:      Tue, 11 May 2004 22:36:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kaveh Gh <gangland_1464@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ethernet configuration

 Hi.

 I had the same problem in debian but not in FreeBSD.
 Anyway, the approach is general! First of all, take a
look in CD of your network adapter which comes with
your LAN adapter. These days, most brands, include the
linux driver(module) in their proceeding CDs. Mostly
they are in /Linux folder. If there is no driver, take
a look in NVIDIA web page. I have seen a good archive
for network/video adapter drivers in that web site.

 When you find the corresponding module, un-tar the
module and copy of files into /temp/tmp (for example).
Then goto the mentioned folder and issue the following
command in terminal:

 make install

 After a few minute, the make file will generate the
module(for example rhinefet.o ) copy the module into
/lib/modules/[kernel version]/drivers/net and issue
the following command:

 echo alias eth0 rhinefet >> /etc/modules.conf
 echo alias eth0 rhinefet >> /etc/aliases

 Then, issue the following command:

 insmod rhinefet.o
 modprobe rhinefet.o

 Now issue shutdown -h NOW and the adapter will work
the next time the box comes up by FreeBSD.

 NOTES:

 1) The addresses mentioned above are correspondng to
Debian linux. I think these are the same in FreeBSD.
But make sure before everythngs.

 2) [kernel version] is corresponding to your kernel
version. The kernel that I'm using is 2.4.18-b2.4 and
yours maybe different.

 3) You need to have the kernel header files. You can
link the corresponding header files by linking their
packages.

 4) My network adapter is D-Link DFE530TX. Yours is
different. So, the module of yours must be different.
rhinefet is just an example that I've used above.

 5) Make sure that during the compilation of the c
files of modules, everything goes well.

 Best wishes,

--- Kern Handa <kh-gokuu@mn.rr.com> wrote:
> Hi! I've recently migrated to FreeBSD (i386 arch)
> and have a NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Adapter. I
> did not see this card in the ethernet card list that
> is supported by the kernel (unless I missed it), and
> as such was wondering if there is a generic driver
> for cards that are not supported.

=====

Kaveh Gh.

Email : Kaveh_gh@mehr.sharif.edu