Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2011 10:23:57 -0500
From:      Jerry <freebsd.user@seibercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   HAL's demise

Excerpt from freedesktop.org mailing list:

<quote>

Also, "is going away" is a bit of an understatement, it's really quite
dead. GNOME switched over a year ago, KDE and XFCE finished the
transition a couple of months back (see [1]). The major distros don't
even install it by default any more, or at least switched hal to D-BUS
activation so that it doesn't run all the time and cost extra boot
time/CPU/battery power, and just gets started for the odd old program.

</quote>

The entire post is available here:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2011-February/013837.html

Is FreeBSD now "HAL" free or is it still a requirement? I still have it
activated via "/etc/rc.conf" If it is not needed, I would be happy to
remove the entry.

--
Jerry ✌
FreeBSD.user@seibercom.net

10% of road accidents are due to drunken driving. Which means - it a
logical statement that 90% of accidents are due to driving without
drinking!