Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 1998 07:20:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SysV Init

> Subject: Re: /etc/rc.d, and changes to /etc/rc?
> On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Snob Art Genre wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> > > 	I'm surprised to hear this.  I'd say go with it.  The
> > > 	differences between BSD and the SYSV rc files|directories
> > > 	is one of the most significant differences between the two
> > > 	models.
> > >
> > > 	Your ideas would be a win-win.
> >
> > I agree strongly.  Sometimes sending something a signal is not all that
> > needs to be done to kill it cleanly.  A mechanism for glue logic can be
> > valuable.  I have just recently started adminning Solaris, after a
> > couple of years only using various BSDs, and the start and stop scripts
> > are one of my favorite features.

I said the same thing.  I also started working on doing this, however

I was still working under 2.x -- so I've just switched to working
under 3.0.  I will try to get back into this, especially now
that I've got a Sun here with Solaris 7 and a copy of Solaris
for the x86 here.

Boy did I get flames when I proposed this.  This is one area where SysV
is superior.

> It seems to me that what we ought to be asking for are the hooks, so
> those of us that *do* like run-levels *can* have them.  I don't think we
> should force everyone to have such a thing, but wouldn't it be possible
> to have the run levels *without* requiring those that think they are
> evil to have to implement a changed startup?
>
> I'm asking for a system where the legacy rc is there for those who want
> it (and would probably be installed by default) but a system of
> run-levels and rc.d type stuff would be feasible.  Such a thing could
> then even be a port.  I think such an approach would short-circuit most
> of the complaints, and let the idea move forward with coding.

I was looking to do this as a port of the SysV init, getty and
hopefully one day package tools.  If we got SVR4 or Solaris X86
emulation we'd be set.

My plan was two sysctl variables for current and past run state.
This would avoid the need for a utmp change.

kern.current_runlevel
kern.prev_runlevel

The who command would also be need modified to support who -R and
read the kern.current_runlevel variable.

I was thinking about porting getty_ps over along with gettydefs...

Anyone spot anything else we'd need to do for compatibility?

Bill