Date:      Sun, 04 Jul 1999 15:59:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org, freebsd-translate@ngo.org.uk
Subject:   Re: Resolution: FDP reorganisation

Nik Clayton wrote:

> I've just done this for you test out.  The generated .tar.gz file is
> huge (roughly 6 MB in size).  Mine is but a puny modem, and I'd spend
> ages uploading it.
>
> So, here are my notes on what I did, accompanied by a small shell script
> that recreates the actions I did.
>
> To use it, make sure you have the doc/ repository in /home/ncvs/doc, and
> plenty of spare room in /var/tmp/.  A /var/tmp/FDP directory will be
> created, and all the work is carried out in there.

OK, I've run the script and what comes out looks fine to me in terms
of CVS repository issues (modulo the tags, which are a job for my own
shell script).  All the original files are still there, unchanged.
Nice job -- it would have taken me four forevers to do it myself,
since I don't have a firm grip on the big picture.

> 6MB to 4KB.  What an incredible compression ratio :-)

Agreed.  There was actually a paper [1] presented at this year's
Usenix on this technique.  It seems pretty unpromising to me as a
general compression algorithm, but it worked very nicely in this case.
:-)

John

[1] Yui-Wah Lee, Kwong-Sak Leung, and Mahadev Satyanarayanan,
"Operation-based Update Propagation in a Mobile File System".