Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 11:14:57 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD dead? Well, not in theory...

>instead of NT. Instead of Linux. The existing BSD market is too small. They
>have failed to convince the world that BSD is the answer. Outside of the
>US. linux is totally dominant.

   I'm not sure where you get your market demographics, but at least in Japan,
FreeBSD is on par with Linux in popularity. If we had even half of the success
in the US that we've enjoyed in Japan, then we'd be a lot further along in
mindshare. But all of this speaks to the past and doesn't consider what may
be ahead. It's true that BSD in general has sucked at marketing. One of the
primary goals with the new company is to change that. In time we'll know if
this was just wishful thinking.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.