Date:      Thu, 09 May 2002 12:11:36 -0700
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@mass.dis.org>
To:        Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nextboot loader diff

> > > I've finally learned enough forth to put together a diff to implement som
> > > nextboot functionality in the loader.
> > >
> > > Basically, the loader peeks into the first line of /boot/nextboot.conf to
>
> > > see if nextboot_enable="YES" is there. If it is, it reads the entire
> > > config, then rewrites the first line to nextboot_enable="NO"
> >
> > Don't do this.  Put the variables directly into loader.conf.  There's no
> > need for another file.
>
> I think it's a bad idea to try to rewrite /boot/loader.conf. I purposely
> went for /boot/nextboot.conf so that if something went wrong with the
> rewrite, it (hopefully) wouldn't hose the user's settings.

You're fooling yourself if you think that just because you're rewriting a
different file, "something going wrong" isn't going to hose the user
anyway.

You probably want to overwrite with "TRY" rather than "NO", too, since
userland needs something to key off to know that this is a 'next' boot.

Obviously, "TRY" then gets overwritten with "NO" on the next boot, but
the new kernel is not booted (this is the 'recovery') boot.

I still think you're not thinking the processes associated with this
feature through carefully enough.

 = Mike

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not