Date:      Tue, 08 Apr 1997 20:13:11 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netatalk

John-Mark Gurney writes:
> Daniel O'Callaghan scribbled this message on Apr 8:
> >
> > Can someone please point me in the right direction of *using* netatalk,
> > besides compiling a kernel.  Where are the userland management programs?
> > I can't find them in ports.
>
> go to the netatalk's home page at http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/..
> they should be able to help... it is suppose to compile and run out of
> the box on freebsd...

It *would* be nice to have this (and others) in a minimal port if for no
other reason than to generate the entry in /var/db/pkg so pkg_delete can
remove it on upgrade. Didn't it install the man pages in
/usr/local/atalk/man/ or am I thinking of PostgreSQL? (not near my netatalk
machine).

Another fine reason for a port is that I often consult my FreeBSD
/usr/ports for useful utilities long before web surfing, even for utilities
I need on SGI and Sun systems.

Rather than make the port myself, I'd suggest (stealing an idea from EE
Times) that this is somebody's chance to Become Immortal Immediately, get
your name on the FreeBSD CDROM. Contribute a port.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net