Date:      Sun, 4 Jan 1998 19:31:37 +0100
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>, freebsd-bugs@hub.freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/5404: slXX slip (tun & ppp) interfaces always point to point

As Brian Somers wrote:

> Not quite.  I was suggesting that instead of the first, we have the
> second, or in fact
>
>   route add 1.2.3.4 -netmask 0xffffff00 1.4.5.6
>
> If you specify a 0xffffffff netmask, you get the same as the existing
> stuff *always* does.

However, since most people don't bother messing with the netmask on
p2p interfaces at all (why should they), they'll always catch the
default netmask, so the above will violate the principle of least
surprise for them (configurations that used to work would no longer
work).

> The real purpose, as you've already suggested, is that you get the
> associated broadcast address.  With this broadcast address, all sorts
> of other things work (timed, rwhod, nmbd etc.), assuming that you've
> got a proxy arp setup on the other end.

Proxy arp is a hack.  We shouldn't encourage using hacks.  If people
are interested in using hacks, they should have more work to be done
than those who are interested in clean setups.

(Sure, like all hacks, there are situations why proxy arp can be
useful.  vfork() is another example of a useful hack.  Recommending
proxy arp as a general method is ugly.  Setup correct IP routing
instead.)

> Of course, this implies that the destination address isn't actually
> required - as with a real network.

`Real' networks have broadcast addresses, but aren't point-to-point.
`Real' networks can't share the same local adress for different
interfaces, p2p interfaces can.  `Real' networks have native
broadcasting, p2p interfaces don't.  p2p interfaces always connect to
just one remote address, that's why they are called by this name. ;)

--
cheers, J"org