Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 1996 09:26:56 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Some recent changes to GENERIC

As Nate Williams wrote:

> > I will fully support this opinion as soon as we have pageable kernel
> > memory.

> Huh?  The kernel that we used to ship vs. the kernel we know will ship
> (unless Jordan changes his mind) is only different by at most 1-2
> pages.  We haven't gained the end-user anything significant and caused
> him more trouble.

I wrote this earlier.  My argumentation was about recommending the use
of the GENERIC kernel vs. a customized one.  Right now, people using
GENERIC are wasting all the space for the various network adapter
drivers they don't use, and many people also waste space for the
drivers of the SCSI subsystem.

> And, I think the average user would be willing to 'waste' a 100K or so
> to not have to take up 40MB of disk space for his own custom kernel,
> which requires sys and usrsbin sources.

For an 8 MB machine, the difference in the kernel size should be quite
notable.  For a larger machine, it's certainly moot.

The cost for compiling the kernel is 20 MB.  You don't need usrsbin in
source form.  As long as you never *upgrade* your kernel sources, the
default /usr/sbin/config is always appropriate.

We should make it easier for the people to build from the kernel
source tree on the second CD-ROM.  This way, they only have to make
the space for the .o files available.

--
cheers, J"org