Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 00:15:02 +1000 (EST)
From:      proff@suburbia.net
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfilter compilation

> As proff@suburbia.net wrote:
>
> > I don't see that outside references are a problem, provided the
> > user is kept aware of them.
>
> That's probably the best solution to handle src/contrib code for
> kernel-land, yes.  But it makes packaging the distributions harder.
> Right now, it's sufficient to install the `ssys' distribution if you
> wanna rebuild your kernel.  If we simply reference through
> ../../contrib in sys/conf/files, this will require the luser to
> install the entire contrib distribution bloat as it stands now.
>
> --
> cheers, J"org

Anyone object to src/sys_contrib then? In cases like ipfilter it
would still contain user-land kernel support code, but this would
be quite reasonable size-wise compared to src/contrib.

Cheers,
Julian

--
Prof. Julian Assange  |If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people
proff@suburbia.net    |and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless
proff@gnu.ai.mit.edu  |immensity of the sea. -- Antoine de Saint Exupery