Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 14:22:03 -0600
From:      GB Clark II <gclarkii@vsservices.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Craig Harding <crh@outpost.co.nz>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Subject:   Re: GPL nonsense: time to stop

On Tuesday 18 December 2001 13:56, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 12:52 PM 12/18/2001, John Baldwin wrote:
> >Actually, no, the kernel doesn't know about loading the math emulator.
> > Not to mention that we have two of them.
>
> I was referring to some of the other code, including ext2fs.
>
> The GPLed math emulator is no longer needed at all, because the
> BSD-licensed one is quite good. The GPLed one should be scrubbed from
> the tree as it is no longer useful and is extra work to maintain (if it
> is being maintained at all).
>
> --Brett

Brett,

Did you read my earlier message?  The math emualtor is NOT under the GPL!
It has a restrictive license in that it can only be used under FreeBSD/NetBSD
and 386BSD, has an advertising clause and requires distribution of the source
of the emulator.  Nothing else.

The reason it was added (by me) was that in 1994 the original emulator and
the original libm (which why we also have the sun libm) could  not pass all
of the floating point tests in the major FP test suits.  I wanted to run
ghostscript on a 386 and could not do it, so I found out a way to do so.

Has the way that FP is done changed in the last 7 years?

GB

--
GB Clark II             | Roaming FreeBSD Admin
gclarkii@VSServices.COM | General Geek