Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 01:46:41 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Roman Shterenzon <roman@xpert.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARCH in /etc/make.conf

Quoting Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>:

> On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 12:44:38PM +0200, Roman Shterenzon wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I've noticed that for K6-2 -march=k6 is implied.
> > Browsing through gcc code teaches me that ``k6 - doesn't have
> pipelines''
> > which is wrong for sure for K6-2. That may explain why -march=pentium
> > binaries (played with graphics/xine port) run faster than -march=k6.
> > Perhaps it's wiser to set -march=pentium for K6-2 (of course, with
> 3DNOW -
> > I haven't seen yet what variables are set for benefit of ports like
> mpg123)
>
> Can you produce benchmarks showing that this is the right thing to do?
>
> Kris

If you tell me how, I'd be glad to help.
I played with xine - ran each one many times (in order to eliminate as much as
possible the cache, tlb and os cache effects) and watched the dropped frames
and other information. This is far from being "good benchmark".
Is there're anything related in ports/benchmarks, some new incarnation of
wetstone/dhrystone or something?

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]