Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2001 19:31:59 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Repercussions (Was: Helping victims of terror)

Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com> types:
> On a more FreeBSD related note, do you think this will provoke the US
> government to create restrictions hurtful to the free software community?
> Such as crypto restrictions, or new laws allowing the government to invade
> our privacy as we use the internet? All in the name of "protecting the country
> from possible terrorist threats?" Could pgp be outlawed?

This has generated a lot of public emotion. Everyone with an agenda is
going to try and channel that to further their goals. I've already
heard public officials nattering about the current ineffectiveness of
the US intelligence community, the poor record of government employees
have at keeping secrets, and the dangers inherent in encryption
technology that the police forces can't easily crack.

	<mike