Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 22:42:08 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        "Jim Flowers" <jflowers@ezo.net>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: an and wi ad-hoc talking

In message <004501c16a6d$f14eb010$22b197ce@ezo.net> "Jim Flowers" writes:
: How are your connecting cables?  It's been a number of years since we used
: any Hypergain antennas because the connectors were made so badly.  Same with
: some connectors (N type) that we made casually that lost signal in damp
: weather due to moisture wicking in.  Shouldn't be that much fade due to
: atmospheric conditions at 2.4GHz, I thought..  Somewhere it looks like
: you're losing 28 dB between the cables and the trees.

The N connectors that we have appear to be fine and water tight.
Whenever I've taken them apart, we've had no moisture.

28dBi.  How did you get to that number?  I'm curious.

Most of it is due to the trees.  I was able to make contact, with the
old radios so I don't have any signal quality numbers, by raising a
14dBi antenna up above the treeline (an additional 15' above where the
dish is mounted).  So the trees are at least 14dB worth of
attenuation, likely more :-).  We went from so so communications to
all excellent or good (power meeter on the old radios went fair, good,
excellent).

We were able to shoot this same distance with two 14dBi yagis.  I
drove down the street about 4 blocks to the high school which is a
has a clear patch (no trees) to the other end.  Just by holding it by
hand we were able to get good signal, better than we've gotten at the
house with two dishes.

Also, in the fall, the signal gets much better.  In the spring, after
they open the irrigation canal gates and the trees get a chance to
soak up the water and grow leaves, it gets much worse.

: Also, I seem to remember that certain channels on the WaveLAN cards put out
: more rf power than others although I don't remember which are the best.
: Only a little bit but everything helps.

Hmmmm.  I'll have to cycle through them one at a time to see which
one(s) are best.  Thanks for the hint.

Still doesn't help me with the an card, however :-)

Warner