Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 97 14:49:06 CST
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
To:        dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu (David E. Cross)
Cc:        dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: another victim...

> Hmm... 2.1.7 would be nice, but I would hate to go to 2.1.7 only to have
> 2.2 come out a week later.  Any ideas when 2.2 is scheduled to be out.  The
> gamma releases seem to be progressing quite rapidly, and I have not heard any
> real problems about the gammas here.

My opinion (and only my opinion):

As a person whose work revolves around UNIX server platforms, I would never
choose to put all of my faith in a relatively untested platform.

2.2 has not had enough real world exposure to shake out all of the real bugs
and problems that may exist.  That is not to say that I am not running it; I
most certainly AM!  But I am only running it on machines that are either
non-critical (i.e. my personal workstations, etc) or machines that are
redundantly backed up by other proven platforms (i.e. 2.1.X).

On the other hand, 2.1.X has been proven by time and fire to be a STABLE
and RELIABLE OS.  My Web server is setting site uptime records:

 2:39PM  up 195 days, 23:22, 1 user, load averages: 0.21, 0.18, 0.15

For a server class platform, one really doesn't _need_ many/most of the
enhancements made in 2.2, and so it would be better to go with a known
stable platform for any critical applications.

In the meantime, there are those of us who are beating the snot (sorry
for the Karlism) out of 2.2, and it is looking very promising.  Hopefully
it can "prove" itself and take over for 2.1.7 within the next year.  But
I am not going to put all of MY eggs in the 2.2 basket, until I am
confident that the basket is strong, and was well built, based on firsthand
experience.

That's why you might wish to install 2.1.7.  It's basically a matter of
faith and reliability.

If you're looking for a desktop OS?  Then the picture might be different.
2.2 should offer enough of an incentive to go that way that you may choose
to install 2.2.

... Joe