Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 10:40:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/35620: make release fails in documentation for RELEASETAG=RELENG_4_5 as of Feb 28th

The following reply was made to PR docs/35620; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To: Adrian Steinmann <ast@marabu.ch>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 10:38:26 -0800

 If memory serves me right, Adrian Steinmann wrote:

 > 	It seems that as of Feb 27th the
 > 	src/release/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/relnotes/common/new.sgml file
 > 	contains <port> tags which causes make release on the RELENG_4_5
 > 	branch to fail because that tag is not defined.

 Support for <port> was removed, for reasons that are too long to go into
 here (the discussion is in the doc@ archive).

 As a work around, you can try building your release like this:

 make release RELEASETAG=RELENG_4_5 DOCRELEASETAG=RELEASE_4_5_0 ...

 This will use a slightly older version of the doc/ tree that still
 supports the <port> tag.  This means that if you build the Handbook,
 FAQ, or other FDP documents as a part of your release, they'll have the
 older content as well.

 FYI:  Nobody updates the release notes on the security fix branches.
 They remain frozen with the contents that they had at the time the
 corresponding release was tagged.  src/UPDATING contains patchlevel
 information for security fix branches.

 It'd be nice if this "just worked", but I'm opposed to messing around
 with the release documentation on the security fix branches just to fix
 this.

 Bruce.