Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:50:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      Marty Poulin <mpoulin@rascal.honk.org>
To:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>
Cc:        unknown@riverstyx.net, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD: The Storage Wars

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, G. Adam Stanislav wrote:

> But when I actually want to accomplish something, I have no choice but to
> boot Windows. Not because I like it but because I know how to use it. And
> when I don't, I can always figure it out.

You'd be surprised what you can get away with without having to resort to
Windows.  These days the only thing I need to boot down to microsoft for
is to surf the web using all those funky multimedia plugins that haven't
been ported to BSD (yet).  And the odd game.

> Under FreeBSD (and, I suppose Unix in general), the solution is no doubt
> available and probably more powerful, but it always requires me to use some
> cryptically named command. Man pages are of little help to me: First of
> all, I would need to know the name of the command to even get to the man
> page. And even when I do, it seems the man page is always written in some
> foreign language that only outwardly resembles English. Apropos usually
> does not help me much either.

I agree, it can be a challenge to find answers at times, but that's where
the archives and mailing lists and FAQ's come in really handy - there is
no way I would have accomplished a fraction of what I have done if it
wasn't for all of the online help.

> Just days ago I have installed XFree86 3.3.3.1. Its interface is
> reminiscent of Windows 1.0, and it locks up my system either immediately or
> in a few minutes (mouse cursor disappears, ctl-alt-backspace does not
> work), and the only way out is by turning the system off, ouch). No doubt
> there is a simple fix, if I only knew what it was. :-) (I kinda suspect
> that I need more RAM, I only have 8 Meg, although that is supposed to be
> enough.)

Sounds like you need to experiment with some window managers.  The default
one that comes with X (twm) is about the ugliest, most basic one I have
ever seen.  Totally geared towards "old-school" command-line Unix types.

Check out www.afterstep.org, www.windowmaker.org, and when you upgrade
your RAM, I recommend taking a look at KDE - a very "windows-ish" Desktop
Environment that I have come to really like.  (www.kde.org)

> Despite all of that, I am sticking with FreeBSD. Some day, I'll learn how
> to use it. :-) It is a very steep learning curve, though!

Hey, keep it up!  It really is worth it.

> Not that this has anything to do with the subject line. I suspect the other
> OS mentioned there would be even harder for me to learn. Maybe I'm just
> getting old (will turn 49 next month). Computers were so much simpler when
> I was 15! <big grin>

Heh - back in the days when "GUI" meant that someone spilled their coffee
on the punch cards...

M.