Date:      Thu, 09 Apr 1998 15:40:47 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, "David Shanes" <dshanes@personalogic.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

At 02:24 PM 4/9/98 -0700, Mike Smith wrote:

>Of course, operating systems are the foundation on which internet
>software is built.  And the promotional material for the "summit" made
>that much pretty clear in its placement of the word "Linux".

Indeed! In any event, it's good that folks are responding.

As an industry and trend watcher, I have a compelling sense that the
next few months will represent an "inflection point" -- that is, a
period during which a major change in attitude and direction will be
felt in the computer industry. Freely redistributable operating systems
will suddenly acquire serious credibility and will no longer be able to
be ignored by the mainstream media nor by developers. However, as the
rise of Microsoft has shown, most users will fail to investigate
alternatives and will adopt only those products with the largest installed
base and the most press coverage. Thus, FreeBSD stands to suffer as much
as to gain from the paradigm shift.

If there is not an exceedingly strong effort to promote FreeBSD as superior
to Linux, Linux -- which has a larger installed base -- will be catapulted
to a dominant position while FreeBSD will see no noticeable increase in
its user base or its popularity. FreeBSD needs to have a few "zealots" and
"evangelists" -- just as Linux does -- to stubbornly insist that
FreeBSD be included in every forum where Linux is discussed. It also needs
some calmer proponents to take up the slack. Perhaps a new slot on the
core team -- "Chief Evangelist" -- is in order.

--Brett Glass