Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 09:47:05 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Olivier Dony <odony@student.info.ucl.ac.be>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Too many collisions on network?

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 08:50:47PM +0100, Olivier Dony wrote:

> Any ideas? And thanks again, I've learned a lot so far with your kind help :-)

Once Upon A Time when SGI was great and not "sgi" one of their employees
posted an excellent article on "collisions" on his personal company home
page.

The gist of that article was to the effect, "collisions are not bad" and
went on to prove it. That up to 200% collision rate will only hurt total
wire thruput by 12%.

"Collisions" are unavoidable on half-duplex ethernet because when a host
starts transmission it doesn't know if anyone else is doing the same. So
it copies its data off the wire and if someone else is transmitting at
the same time the data is corrupted, both hosts notice and back off and
apply a random wait before retrying. Some, not all, NIC hardware click
a collision counter.

The collision occurs in the first 64 octets of the transmission so very
little wire time (bandwidth) is lost.

Problem with modern fast hardware is one can receive a packet and queue
the ACK in time for the next ethernet "opening" and collide with the
file transfer if you DON'T have 100% collision rate, your hardware isn't
as fast as you thought.

A quick glance at Olivier's data showed only 30% to 50% collision rate.
Nothing to worry about unless you know you are connected to a full
duplex hub.

What you should worry about is a "late collision", which is the same
thing but happening after the first 64 octets. Late collisions are due
to defective hardware, software, or the local ethernet is too long for
the current value of the speed of light.

Notification of late collisions is routed thru the kernel log.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net