Date:      Thu, 02 Feb 1995 05:12:29 -0600
From:      Peter da Silva <peter@bonkers.taronga.com>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@wcarchive.cdrom.com, longyear@netcom.com, rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com
Subject:   Re: chat(8) improvements for SL/IP dialout.

Looks nifty. One point:

>       t.c_lflag  = 0;
> +     if(command) {
> + 	  /* If we're going to execute a command, don't hang-up */
> + 	  /* the device when we're done. */
> + 	t.c_cflag &= ~HUPCL;
> +     }
>       t.c_cc[VERASE] = t.c_cc[VKILL] = 0;

Why not? Oh, for SLIP or PPP where the command just establishes a connection
that's useful, but for a situation where you're running some conventional
command (like, say, a dialback security mechanism) you want to retain HUPCL.

I'd say make this a separate option, or even better have an optional set of
stty arguments to apply to the port (including baud rate, which you can pre-
parse to set up before calling stty and the command).

(pppd is already set up to call chat itself. I'm sorta surprised slip doesn't
 do that...)