Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 12:25:46 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sgi and freebsd

On Friday, 25 June 1999 at 22:40:00 -0400, Barney Wolff wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 22:34:44 -0400 (EDT)
>> From: Ronald Petty <repett0@sac.uky.edu>
>> To: freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
>> Subject: sgi and freebsd
>>

>> does anyone know where you can get a book on sgi device drivers.  We are
>> doing some VR work here at UK on machines running freebsd and sgi, but we
>> can't find jack about SGI irix 6.5 device drivers.  I know this isn't the
>> list but someone might know.
>
> Contact your friendly SGI support person.  They have excellent manuals
> online, but I think they're available only to sgi customers.  One
> actually can get a device driver working with their help - and sgi
> also has people who can answer such questions, correctly.  Of course,
> that's if you have a support contract.  But if you're paying for it,
> you're entitled to help.

I haven't looked at SGI code, but I would have thought that, as a
System V implementation, it would adhere to the ddk/ddi specification,
in which case there is quite a bit of literature available.  If you're
familiar with FreeBSD device drivers, you'll find it's similar enough
to be familiar and different enough to be confusing.

Greg