Date:      Mon, 07 Jun 2010 14:24:47 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Jerry <freebsd.user@seibercom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java plugin with Firefox 3.6

On Jun 7, 2010, at 1:08 PM, Jerry wrote:
[ ... ]
> I honestly enjoy satire. That said, it does not change the fact that a =
serviceable version of Java, suitable for Firefox-3.6, does not exist =
within the FreeBSD framework.

That's pretty much accurate, if you don't want to consider running =
FF+Java under Linux emulation. =20

> A quick investigation of other operating systems would seem to =
indicate that FreeBSD is virtually alone in this regards.

The JRE from java.sun.com has binaries for Linux, Solaris, and Windows-- =
which are the officially supported Java platforms-- and one could add =
Apple's MacOSX.  If you are running FreeBSD, Plan 9, HP/UX, IRIX, AIX, =
or anything else, Java is not going to be nearly as well-supported.

If Java is critical to you, seriously consider using another platform.

> Now, I assume that you are familiar with the nVidia 64 bit drivers and
> FreeBSD. It took years for that to be rectified. Based on that past
> experience, I feel that stating that Firefox-4 might well be released
> before a serviceable Java is available for version 3.6+ is a real
> possibility.

That's entirely possible.

> Your commentary does serve to prove a very real point however. To wit:
>=20
> Pointing out or stating a problem with a Microsoft product is
> insightful, constructive criticism; however, doing the same for an =
open
> source product is destructive, counter productive, flame bait.

Like many things, different people's motives and perspective tend to =
shape how they perceive the same set of underlying facts.

> Seriously Ian, I question whether the FreeBSD authors are more
> interested in bumping version numbers than they are in producing a
> fully serviceable, quality product.

The two aren't closely related.  Major version # bumps in commercial =
software often happen because the vendor wants to sell upgrade licenses, =
but that motivation simply doesn't apply to FreeBSD.  Major version # =
bumps happen in FreeBSD primarily because of major API changes which end =
up making an entirely new version of userland libc & other libraries =
desirable. =20

> When was the last time you tried getting a native FreeBSD driver for =
an 'N' class USB wireless device?

Never.  The only 'N' device I have around is a Macbook Pro, and that's =
running the vendor-supplied driver which came with the device.

> Drivers for chips over a year old don't exist. It just seems to
> me that the priority should be on getting the present product fully
> functional rather than simply bumping version numbers. Then again, =
that
> is just my 2=E2=82=B5.

Hopefully you get your money's worth.

Regards,