Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 1996 10:45:23 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Andrew Stesin <stesin@gu.net>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, FreeBSD hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IDE CDROM experiences (was: ATAPI

> 	2.1.6 ATAPI driver isn't so robust, it didn't work
> 	in any of the above configurations. :-(  Just now I have
> 	a SCSI box but with IDE CDROM (Creative CRE-JTB Quad Speed)
> 	on wdc0 and 2.1.6-R just doesn't see even wdc controllers,
> 	no matter is CDROM a "master" or "slave" device.
>
> 	Can I bring at least 2.2 ATAPI driver to 2.1.6? (didn't get time
> 	to try this yet, but interested in the ability).

As much as I'd like the 2.1.6 driver to be more robust, I'm afraid
that we're truly done with that release now. :)

> 	I sholuld also mention that SCSI CDROM drives are now simply
> 	dissapearing from PC hardware market.  So like this or not --
> 	you won't always get SCSI CDROM even if you sincerely want it.

Uh..  Maybe in Russia, but around here they're just as plentiful as
ever! :-) In fact, they've been dropping in price significantly and
it's now possible buy an 8X SCSI CDROM drive (from NEC) for less than
$200.  I also just purchased a 12X SCSI drive in Las Vegas for $349,
and I would expect it to be somewhat cheaper in the San Francisco
Bay Area.  Performance is very good.

					Jordan